Burgers are one of the best “having people over for a casual get-together” foods, but let’s face it, on Game Day, people want a little of everything, and a big burger is just too much with everything else you have to eat!
That’s where sliders come in – little miniature burgers, PACKED with flavor, but not too heavy to eat! These sliders really deliver on flavor and they pack a little heat, too, so they are sure to be a crowd pleaser!
Start off by cooking 6 pieces of bacon (crispy) in a large skillet. (Cook more if you can’t resist the temptation to eat some!) A few minutes per side on a medium low heat should be enough. Set these aside on a paper towel to drain off the excess oil.
In a mixing bowl, put 1 pound of ground beef and add to it 1 tsp each of salt, garlic powder, onion powder, and oregano, and a 1/2 tsp of cayenne. Use your hands to combine this all together and then form the meat into 12 patties, about 3 inches wide.
MAKE OR BREAK TIP: Don’t over-knead the meat! Get it just combined so all the spices are evenly distributed, and then STOP! Over-working the beef causes it to be tough, and nobody likes a tough burger! Use your palms to lightly squeeze each ball of meat so it becomes a flat patty – no extra pressure is needed!
Heat up the same pan you used for the bacon (don’t wipe out the grease!) over a medium heat and add the burger patties to it. It’s important that you don’t overcrowd the pan, so if they don’t all fit with an inch of space between them, do it in two batches. Cook on one side for 3-4 minutes, then flip and cook for an additional 2-3 minutes. (This much time should mean they are medium well to well-done.)
Just before they have finished cooking, add a slice of pepper jack cheese to each one. (If you buy the single-serving sliced kind, one of those slices should divide nicely into 4 squares that fit perfectly on these burgers.)
If you want raw onion on your sliders (I personally can’t imagine a burger without onion!) then while the burgers are cooking you can cut up about half a large onion. (Cut the half into quarters and then slice up each quarter.) You can also prep the buns by taking 3 large kaiser rolls and cutting them into quarters. Open up each mini-bun and add the onion (if desired) to each one and top with a drizzle of your favorite barbecue sauce. Put a burger on top of each, and then break each slice of bacon into quarters and put two pieces on each burger.
Put the caps on each burger, put them on a serving dish, and you’re done!
You might find yourself making these a lot more than just when you’re entertaining!
Bacon Cheeseburger Sliders
Yield: 12 sliders
6 pieces bacon
1 pound ground beef
1 tsp salt
1 tsp onion powder
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp oregano
1/2 tsp cayenne
3 slices pre-packaged pepper jack cheese
3 large Kaiser rolls, cut into quarters
1/2 large onion, cut into quarters and sliced
Barbecue sauce, for topping
1) In a large skillet over medium low heat, cook bacon for 2-3 minutes per side or until crispy. Set aside on a paper towel.
2) Combine beef, salt, onion powder, garlic powder, oregano, and cayenne together in a mixing bowl. Form the beef into 12 (three inch) patties.
3) In the same pan that you cooked the bacon, over medium heat, cook the 12 patties for 3-4 minutes on the first side and 2-3 minutes on the second side. If they don’t all fit comfortably in the pan, do 2 batches.
4) Add 1/4 of a slice of pepper jack cheese to each burger just before they are finished cooking, and then remove from heat.
5) Open each mini bun and top with onion, barbecue sauce, and then each burger.
6) Break each slice of bacon into quarters and then place 2 pieces onto each burger.
7) Cap the burgers and serve immediately.