We are back to breakfast in the rotation today! Much like my Perfect French Toast recipe, these waffles are delectable and definitely not the healthiest of breakfast options… but when it’s a lazy weekend morning, who cares about diets anyway, right?
This recipe is for two. There’s a few tips and tricks here, so bear with me!
Start by cracking an egg into a medium mixing bowl and whisking it vigorously until it’s bubbly and sort of fluffy. (Hat tip to Betty Crocker for this little tidbit of info!)
To this, whisk in one cup of flour, half a teaspoon each of baking powder and baking soda, a tablespoon of canola oil, a teaspoon of vanilla, and 3/4 of a cup of buttermilk. (Buttermilk really makes all the difference, but if you don’t have buttermilk, regular milk will do. You can find buttermilk in any grocery store in the dairy section!)
Whisk it until just combined. It should still look a little lumpy.
Finally, fold in one mashed banana and 1/4 cup of Nutella to the batter. (It will help if the banana you use is fairly ripe and spotted – it will mash a lot easier!) This should turn the batter a nice chocolate color.
Carefully pour the batter into a heated and greased waffle iron. I did about 3/4 cup of batter for one waffle in a Belgian-style waffle iron and that turned out to make two full waffles. Cook according to the instructions for your particular waffle iron, then serve topped with powdered sugar and sliced bananas!
This is perfect for a romantic breakfast for two, or you can double it to feed four! 🙂 Enjoy with a chocolate hazelnut coffee, if that’s your style. 😉
Banana Nutella Waffles
Yield: 2 Belgian-size waffles
1 cup flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp powder
3/4 cup buttermilk
1 tablespoon vegetable or canola oil
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/4 cup Nutella spread
1 banana, mashed
1 banana, sliced (for topping)
1) Spray a waffle iron with cooking spray and turn on to preheat.
2) In a medium mixing bowl, whisk egg until it becomes bubbly and fluffy.
3) To egg, whisk in flour, baking soda, baking powder, buttermilk, canola oil, and vanilla until just combined. (Batter should still be a bit lumpy.)
4) Fold in mashed banana and Nutella spread until combined and batter is a chocolate color.
5) Pour 3/4 cup of batter into Belgian waffle iron and cook according to waffle iron directions until batter is used up.
6) Serve topped with powdered sugar and sliced bananas!